We normally do a writing exercise at each meeting. We spend about 10 minutes writing and about the same time again reading and discussing what we've come up with.
Although we often refer to them as freewrites, we're not strict about sticking to freewriting rules (everyone can write in the way that suits them).
Some topics that we've used as starting points for our writing are listed below (more recent ones at the top). If you're stuck for inspiration, why not have a go at some of these?
- He didn't. She did. Big mistake.
- Something set in an economically depressed area - try to include brand names within the story
- First light
- "I've been expecting you..."
- "That evening the wallpaper..."
- Ocean, Tonga, beards, trowel, solstice - include all five words
- Tiger or "burning bright"
- Mixed proverbs (such as 'a bird in the hand gathers no moss' or 'a stitch in time catches the worm') - write a story outline based on a mixed proverb.
- "I'm pleased to tell you that your application has been successful"
- Something that isn't what it appears to be
- Bishops, protagonist, limes, Wolverhampton, happy
- Which way/Witch Way/Witch weigh (anything phonetically equivalent)